Online security is a hot topic and Safer Internet Day will be celebrated worldwide on 6th February 2018.
With the slogan “Create, Connect and Share Respect: A better internet starts with you”, we couldn’t agree more!
Coordinated by the UK Safer Internet Centre, and national centres across Europe and beyond, the aim is to promote the safe and positive use of digital technology for children and young people and inspire a national conversation. Over 1000 organisations will be getting involved, nationally.
How can we all join in? Here are some Topmarks Tips…
– Make sure to register as a supporter on the UK Safer Internet Centre (SIC) site. You’ll be able to download a campaign tool kit with messaging and information. And follow them on social media.
– Enjoy the specially created animation and education resource, for teachers and young people, created in a collaboration between children’s charity, Into Film, and the Industry Trust. Designed to be used in schools, with children aged 7-14, it’ll help underline how to stay safe online when viewing film and tv content. “Meet The Malwares” animation highlights the different types of virus that can affect a user’s computer or personal device.
– Look out for the SIC’s education packs tailored especially for use with different age groups. In English and Welsh, these free packs include lesson plans, posters, presentations, activities and more, so are great for school use or by parents and carers.
– Take the Safer Internet Day quiz, for 8-13 year olds! Focussing on online relationships, how will you score?
– Try the Safer Internet Day pack from the team at Teaching Ideas. It’s full of cross-curriculum learning activities, supporting year-long eSafety messages.
– Click here for the British Council’s kids’ learning pages with videos, games and discussion ideas around cyberbullying.